Thursday, June 18, 2009

Baby Mine

I thought today, as I stood in the rain outside the post office while my daughter picked every dandelion she could see, that Adelaide is no longer my baby. Or even my toddler for that matter. I cannot even pretend anymore. She is a big girl. With big-girl thoughts. And big-girl ideas. It's time for me to face that fact.

She does love her "flowers" (namely dandelions and clovers). She thinks about picking flowers. She talks about picking flowers. A lot. She told me she wished so badly she could pick the flower from Horton Hears a Who if she could just figure out how to get herself inside the television. And if I could be the one to help her do that, I could have the flower.

I've always told Adelaide she looked so good I wanted to eat her for a snack. Today being no different, I pretended to snack on her leg. She protested and wiggled away. A few minutes later she came to me and told me if I ate her leg she would have no more balance and would fall to the ground never to stand up again.

How, do you suppose, can I argue with that?

Babies do not appeal to their carnivorous mothers with defensible logic.

So for the second time today, I am sadly reminded she is not my baby anymore.

7 comments:

tweston said...

She may not me your baby anymore, but aren't you glad she will always be yours? :) This was a really sweet post!

Janell said...

I don't know . . . I still consider Tammy MY baby! :-)

Stacy said...

Oh! I can't believe she's using such big words like 'balance'! If only you could keep them little.

Just tell her what I always tell my kids, I'm sick of them growing up, so I'm going to just feed them candy from now on. Believe it or not, they protest!

Jill said...

It goes so fast doesn't it.

Amanda said...

Very sweet. AND she's adorable. The combination is heartbreaking.

The Haights- Brilliant! I'm going to try that one.

Erin said...

she is a beautiful "big" girl, she has grown up so fast!

Nelson Nine said...

Sadly, we all survive that moment when they turn big!