Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fulfilling a Dream

For two years Ethan begged to have a lemonade stand. And I put him off every time. Partly because I knew he would be disappointed with the dismal amount of money earned from the, maybe, five neighbors who might drive by. And partly because I'm lazy.

With the weather turning toward summer, we found Ethan in the garage trying to build a makeshift lemonade stand out of wood scraps. I decided I couldn't put him off any longer.

Luckily the scouts were having a garage sale fundraiser. Because we were participating we told Ethan he could set up a lemonade stand in front of our rummage table.

For two weeks he talked of little else. He expanded business to include banana bread and artwork. One night he calculated his profits would sky rocket if he charged $10.39 for lemonade and $15.99 for said artwork.

(You may recognize his rendition.)

We then explained price gouging. He changed his retail price to 25 cents.

He made a killing. $38.00. After paying his employees, tithing and savings he blew the rest at Toys R Us later that evening.

He said it was the best day ever.

8 comments:

Dana said...

I love that he had employees!! Ethan is going to make a killer salesman down the road. Watch out - he may move on to bigger lemonade stands down the road. On second thought, his skills will come in really handy in his teen years when he wants to earn an extra $ by mowing lawns, etc.

Janell said...

I'm so proud of him for being so determine. We grownups so often give up on our ideas and don't follow through.

Amanda said...

That's awesome. My kids always ask to have a lemonade stand too. I don't get it at all.

Linda said...

I love this e-mail. Way to go Ethan! I remember my friend and I wanted to build a stand in the winter, so we did it at the middle of the circle with snow. It was like a fort with seats, I think. We went in to eat and in the mean time the snow plow came along and plowed it down. So much for the stand. He'll be a great businessman. What a great mom to help him!

me said...

ok that is awesome.....haha

Nelson Nine said...

What! $38. Who were these people? You may have a little salesman for a son!

Gail said...

Good Work Ethan!
Those are some mad salesman skills!

Stacy said...

This kills me! I'm so proud of him! My poor kids have set up several candy/lemonade stands and have made about $.75 I think. Good job Ethan!