Monday, August 31, 2009

Evolution

Aside from one nit picky last project and the fact that I'm paralyzed as to where to hang any pictures, our family room is complete. Yeah!

I managed a somewhat "before" picture, but not before Randal started ripping off the horrible wood paneling.


We started out thinking we were only going to change two things: sheet rock and add lighting. (Yes, there were no lights. None. The previous owners lit the room with lamps only.) The rest of the room's features we thought we would just live with; and then we started realizing just how ugly the crooked log mantle actually was. The notch cut out for a box of matches tipped the scale and the thing had to go.


We knocked out the upper brick to accommodate the tv, painted the 70's-looking bookcases, put in wood flooring and then became stumped as the what to do in place of the missing log.

Here's where my dad came in. He made us a mantle during his visit. How awesome is that?!

And this is why I call this room an evolution:


The mantle at a better view:


Thanks, Dad. We love it!

And thanks, Randal for building such a fantastic room, for fixing the leak and cleaning up the unforeseen mold, for knocking out the brick even though I know you didn't want to at the time, and for just being all-around awesome.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Love it!!

Erin said...

Beautiful, can't wait to see more DIY projects. You guys are awesome!

Janell said...

That mantle only looks good because the rest of the room is stunning. You ought to put in pictures of that kitchen you guys did as well. (it is OK to let the grout dry first though.) :) Dad Rimington

Stacy said...

WOW! I LOVE it! I really like the bookcases and the mantel painted white! It looks really nice against the brick. I didn't even realize they were the same bookcases until I scrolled back up!! Good job! And good job for having an awesome dad!

Linda said...

I guess we're going to have take a trip to New York, not only to see such great family, but also to see this awesome house I keep seeing. Greattttttttttttttt job!
Love,
Linda

Janell said...

Wow! Everything looks wonderful now that it's all painted. On to the next project! :-)

PS - The earlier comment was actually from your dad! He wanted to comment and didn't have an account.

Kelly said...

Wow! That room looks amazing! Great job Randall!

Glenna said...

And what is that I see on the fourth shelf down? The other shelves look like they would be good for a nativity also!