Sunday, October 4, 2009

Apples To Apples

I remember, as a girl, going to fruit stands with my mom. It seems that in Utah much of that is now gone to make way for growth; so as an adult I haven't been in the same habit. We are now trying to take advantage of the number of places here where we can pick fruits and vegetables. This may just be my favorite part of living in NY. The latest: apples.


The big surprise to me: our kids love it. It was cold and rainy but they did not care. Initially we were going to pick enough apples for eating as I am not the most seasoned canner. But the kids had so much fun and did not want to quit. Now I've got to figure out what to do with all the apples.


This may be the post General Conference high speaking, but Randal and I both commented on what a different feel this kind of family activity had. Our kids seemed to sense it too. We just felt a lot of love for each other, and for Heavenly Father.

(I hope I'm still feeling that way after canning all these darn apples.)

6 comments:

Dana said...

Wow...that is a LOT of apples!! I say yummy apple pie is definitely in order and too bad I don't live closer :)

My sister Christy in Portland lives out in the country side too and they also pick a ton of things. I'm so glad you have that opportunity as well! I have to keep reminding my girls that fruit and veges don't come from just the store.

Valerie S said...

Be sure and tell us how you can the apples. Looks like you are making some great memories with your kids.

Nelson Nine said...

Maybe I better wait to post my canning blog until after you have tackled those apples! haha

Linda said...

Hi Marian,
Karen is here for Jessica's wedding. We were talking about canning today. She has really done a lot. I did peaches today. Let me know if you come up with good things for apples. It's so fun to see what you're doing.
Linda

Janell said...

I'm so impressed! I didn't get much canning done this year. Just some jam. Of course, it came from our own trees!

Amanda said...

We picked oranges in California. It was an awesome day.