Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Naked

Last spring a tree in our front yard died. A tall tree. A very tall tree.

Its death sparked a 6-month, marital debate. Randal, itching to use his new chain saw, wanted to cut the tree down himself. I didn't want it falling on my house. Hence the debate.

I called professional tree cutters for quotes.

Randal called in the neighbor for reinforcement.

Randal won.

He and Glen did a great job. The house is fine. The street lamp, however--not so much. We were going to replace it anyway.

They didn't stop with just the one. Five others came down too.

Now we're left feeling a little bare and vulnerable around here.

I'd be sadder at the loss than I am if it weren't for all the d@*# leaves we have to rake right now. I kinda wish they'd cut them all down.

8 comments:

Stacy said...

It looks freaky with all of those power lines all around! I'm glad someone didn't get electrocuted!

Dana said...

Yay!! You probably saved a ton of money doing it yourself and now you can check that off the list :)

Gail said...

Sometimes I wish we lived in a more mature neighborhood - tree wise.
Our house felt rather "naked" when we moved in and since then we are one of the few houses on our street that has planted trees.
I love trees - especially in the fall. I love watching the kids jump in the leaves when we're lucky enough to find some, usually we have to go the park...

Amanda said...

I am amazed at the amount of leaves there are over here. I think those little trees on Scarlet Oak dropped a whopping 25 a piece. I love it though. But I don't have to rake any.

Janell said...

I can just imagine the excitement there as that chainsaw was buzzing!

PS - I love autumn and the changing colors of the leaves. I do remember how much we hated raking them growing up, though! Since I got married, we've never lived anywhere that had enough leaves to matter!

Nelson Nine said...

Wow! such language--except that I have seen your yard! Good luck! You know the term naked conjured up a whole different idea in my mind than trees! hahahaha

Linda said...

I can't believe all those trees are gone. It's so beautiful around there. We miss all of you. I love walking in the leaves, but not raking them.

Linda said...

Grandma says, on Linda's blog: I love to read your blog to see what goes on in New York. ha ha! I'm wondering how many trees are now missing? Love the pictures of the children too. More love, Granma B.