Sunday, March 15, 2009

Peaches vs. Blueberries

Have you ever had a day where you work and work only to find yourself right back where you started having accomplished nothing?

That was Saturday.

After a long, but extremely successful, painting process in the kitchen I moved on to the family room. Randal and I had chosen a paint color we both liked. We even purchased a small sample can and painted patches around the room to ensure we still liked the color. Well, after an afternoon spent painting the room I HATED it. So did Randal. It was awful. It hurt my eyes. And worst of all, it looked strangely peach in color. I hate peach. I was so frustrated. Randal kindly primed the walls again for me but by that time it was too late to begin again. We went to bed with the room in the exact same condition it had been that morning.

Thankfully I had one of these babies in the freezer to console me:

A while back, I found a recipe for Best Ever Blueberry Muffins in a magazine. I find I have to try any recipe that claims to be the best...ever. It turns out these muffins weren't just giving themselves airs. Yum! The recipe makes a lot, but they freeze nicely--perfect for a miserable day painting.

Best Ever Blueberry Muffins
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 large eggs
16 oz. sour cream
10 Tbs. unsalted butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups blueberries (if using frozen, do not thaw)
2 Tbs. sugar

Line 2 muffin tins with liners. In a saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar; cool 5 minutes. Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt; set aside. In a separate bowl, beat eggs with sour cream. Beat brown sugar mixture into egg mixture; stirring frequently. Add oats. Fold in flour mixture. Gently stir in blueberries. Fill muffin cups. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes then remove to finish cooling on rack.

PS--I only managed to entice 4 people to take my challenge in the post below. One was my mom and I'm certain she was just humoring me. It's not too late to leave a comment so I can send you something in the mail. I promise I'll make it worth your while. I may not know how to do much, but I have been known a time or two to rise to the occasion when it comes to things handmade.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

You are certainly better than four posts! I have sure enjoyed catching up on you and your beautiful family.

Kellianne said...

That is sure ambitious of you. I really don't enjoy painting! I think I would stick with the color and hate it for a few years until I felt like painting again.
I'm going to try these muffins, they look yummy.

Jill said...

I love love love blueberry muffins. And I totally wanted to comment on your challenge, but that would just create a circle really. Not a bad circle to be in, but a circle nonetheless. Good luck on getting the paint you want.

Heather said...

I have done that so many times painting. Spencer wonders why it takes me so long to choose a color. Because I don't want to freakin paint it all over again if I don't like it! Painting sucks! We just painted our whole basement 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint. I am so sick of painting! Good luck!

Dana said...

Marian, marian, marian...I am sooo sorry to hear about your painting experience. What a wonderful husband you have to prime over the walls again!

In regards to your pay it forward thing, I would absolutely Love, Love, love to get something handmade by you...the only catch is that I would have to then make something for the people that sign up on my blog...I'm still contemplating that :)

Amanda said...

Oh gosh, I hate peachy tans! I had a bunch of trial and errors before I found the color I was looking for. Try Gobi Desert from Home Depot. You are going for a tanish right? I just assumed since you got peach when you didn't want it.

Stacy said...

Yummy muffins! I hadn't checked blogs for a few days. We moved the computer downstairs and I'm too lazy to go downstairs, so I haven't checked blogs.

I am sorry to hear about your painting experience.

Glenna said...

We had the same problem when we painted Jessica's room a few years ago. It is still peachy tan.

Thanks for the muffin recipe. I keep trying different blueberry ones and I haven't found one I really like.