Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cold Weather = Soup Success!

Some of you might be thinking it is a bit ambitious of me to already be posting a recipe when I'm such a blogging novice; but, yesterday I accomplished something new and I'm so proud!

I like to cook. There is one thing, however, I've never been very good at--making bread. Even when using a bread machine a perfect loaf of bread has always alluded me. I guess I'm too impatient to figure out how to work with finicky yeast. I've decided it's time to change.

Before I tried something more complicated like wheat bread, I decided to make my own bread bowls as I have not yet found some in the stores like I am used to in Utah. Yesterday was the perfect day to try--gloomy and rainy all day. I was craving hot soup. So I found this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Italian-Bread-Bowls/Detail.aspx

Surprisingly they were very easy. The hard part would be to remember to make them ahead of time. They turned out perfect, if I do say so myself. The crust was thick and chewy just like a bread bowl should be. Score!

As for the soup--Broccoli and Cauliflower Chowder, recipe courtesy of our friends Krista and Dave. It's our favorite. (Well, R.'s and mine as our kids won't touch anything green, even if there's cheese!)
  • 3 cups broccoli, chopped
  • 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 quart half and half, or milk
  • 1-2 cups grated cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste

Cook vegetables (except peas) in stock until crisp-tender. In a saucepan, melt butter. Add flour; whisk until smooth. Add half and half; stir until thickened. Combine cream sauce with vegetables. Add peas. Heat through but do not boil. Stir in cheese.

Now with this under my belt, I'm ready for something more difficult. Any good bread recipes? Send them my way.

PS. For those of you with a more discerning eye--yes, that is a paper plate in the picture. We have not yet finished unpacking!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I love that you are blogging!!!! I am going to try the bread bowl recipe. Maybe even today! Okay... I am sending you my homemade bread recipe. I swear.

Jill said...

Those look so yummy! Makes me want to make an attempt, though two out of my three won't touch anything green either.

Crystal said...

YUM!! I searched for bread bowls recently too, but I couldn't find them. They can't just be a Utah thing, can they? I'm totally trying your recipe.