Tuesday, October 21, 2008

White Deer

While driving E.r. to school this morning, I saw something very rare in most parts of the world--a white deer. There on the side of the road, in our neighbor's yard, were two of them! From what I understand they are unique to this area. White deer are so rare that the Native Americans called them "ghosts" and believed they had mystical powers. I wish I had my camera. I wish E.R. had noticed them, but he didn't. Of course he asked all sorts of questions I couldn't answer. "Why are they white, Mom? Why are they rare? What does 'rare' mean? What are they doing in that yard?..." Nothing like a Kindergartener in the back seat to make you feel like you don't know anything. Hopefully, in the coming months we will find them in our yard as well so we can get our own photo. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Yay! I'm so happy you started a blog. NY looks gorgeous!