Monday, January 19, 2009

She

My kids have tried to eat me alive this weekend. Especially Adelaide. She's taken to screaming, "don't talk to me!" if she doesn't want me exercising my motherly rights. Plus, I'm on my own given that Randal is traveling for business.

Just when I was contemplating selling one of my children to even out my odds a lovable, little voice whispers in my ear, "Mom, will you snuggle with me?"

So on my lap she climbed. We laid there, belly to belly, while she examined all the anomalies on my face. (There's plenty to keep her busy.) Impulsively, she leaned up and kissed my mole. "All better!" she said as she tenderly patted my cheeks.

I really love this kid. She makes me crazy just about every day; but, she absolutely makes me laugh every day too.

I love that she sings "Happy Birthday Cake To You". The song's the better for it. Anything is better with cake.

I love our lunch dates. We are sadly lacking in play places around here; a pastime my kids and I enjoy. I figure the fast-food calories they eat are canceled out by running around on the filthy playland. I miss them. Nearly once a week, Adelaide and I find ourselves with a big shopping day spilling into lunchtime. Our favorite places have become a yummy bread and soup shop and Pizza Hut pizza at Target's "cafe". Without the distraction of a playland, I have discovered that a 2-year-old has a lot to say. Her eyes twinkle as she chatters and chatters. And I listen. Something I forget to do too often.

I love that she calls her girl parts her "privacies". "Mom, please wipe my privacies," she says. Makes the job not seem so bad.

I love that she is learning to use the computer all by herself, thanks to Starfall. She can even do the match games on her own. I was astounded.

I love it when I call her "ladybug" she indignantly says, "I not a ladybug...I, Ado-wade!"

I love her eyes. They're big and green and beautiful. There is no mistaking her mood; I can always read it in her eyes.

So after thinking about it, I've decided to ignore her impressive tantrum at Target and keep her after all. Her brother is going to have to be awfully good because it's his head now on the chopping block!

10 comments:

Stacy said...

OH! How sweet! It's good that we have moments like these with our kids because otherwise I think that we would eat our young.

On a side note.. Brooklyn also used to say, "I always shut the bathroom door because I don't want anyone to see my privacy."

Mindy said...

Funny! I know EXACTLY what you mean ;) My Ethan is almost always the one on the top of my list--I wish that worried him but it doesn't phase him. Must be 2 year olds!!

Dana said...

Thanks for the reminder of how sweet our kids are! Of course, I think your kids are darling - I love all of A's cute sayings - especially, "toadally". I find myself saying that to myself and thinking of her :)

westfam said...

What a sweetheart! She looks so much like you. What a cutie!

Janell said...

She does look like you! I was looking at a picture of you when you were her age and she has your smile.

We miss listening to her cute voice around here. Time for another visit! :-)

Nelson Nine said...

they grow us too fast so just sit back and enjoy the tantrums--all too fast they will be too big to throw them. Karen

Keelee said...

Cute, cute, cute. I am right there with ya on the tanturms and then totally turning their mood. All I can say, what a joy little girls are.

Jill said...

I have a mole all three of my kids have kissed better, so sweet. I love the chattery stage, they say so many funny things. How sweet you and she are together.

Aspen said...

I absolutely love this post! Thanks for reminding me of all the great parts about being a mom, since all too often I am caught up in the negative too. Sometimes "free to a good home" sounds pretty good... Your little one is such a cutie, and so much personality!

Amanda said...

I love that picture of the two of you. Your smiles are so perfect they make me want to smile. Beautiful post. Well said.

I try to call Mads 'Maddox Baby' and he always tells me, "No. Just Maddox."