Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Thrisis"

I heard that on an episode of ER--thrisis--a thirty-something, mid, mid-life crisis. I laughed. Then I wondered if I was having a thrisis of my own. Here's my evidence:

Right away the whole ER thing betrays me. I'm a long-time fan, even through the more tedious plot-point years. ER first aired the year I graduated from high school. Others have moved on--Clooney, Edwards and Whiley. But not me. And now that it is in it's final season I'm beginning to feel deep sadness, as if Dr. Greene is dying of cancer all over again.

Speaking of high school. I recently reconnected with a friend who is now a high school teacher. He wrote his students consider Duran Duran "old people" music. Surely they don't mean the same Duran Duran I listened to?

Then I remembered the plug-and-play game my parents gave us one Christmas with all sorts of Commodore 64 games including a childhood favorite, Impossible Mission. I was playing this one night when some boys from Randal's YM group stopped by. They were very interested in the game and asked a lot of questions about it's ancient graphics. I explained the game was from the first computer my family owned. As they left one said, "Thanks for the history lesson, Sister Nelson."

Randal had a birthday surprise delivered. My first Ipod. I know, I'm the last person to get one. Worse yet, I don't have the first clue how to work it. I'll have to wait until Randal gets home. Thanks, Honey.

And lastly, on the eve of my 33rd birthday, I realize the highlight of my entire week was participating in the RS Enrichment class on using wheat everyday. A few weeks back, I was asked to be part of the "wheat committee" in planning the activity. I don't claim to know much about wheat; but honestly, I know more than my younger self ever thought I would know. And since I'm being honest...I had a lot of fun.

With such overwhelming proof, the only thing I can do is join my friend in listening to more Duran Duran--on my Ipod.

Oh, and the bright side...with all that wheat I consumed today, I'm going to have a very "regular" birthday. And only we old people understand what a gift that truly can be.

9 comments:

Janell said...

What I'd give to be as old as you are! :-)

On second thought, I just want to be my age with your energy (or that of your kids!)

Jared said...

I am sorry I contributed fuel to your "thrisis." There are a lot of good things that come with age. My favorites are common sense, tact, tolerance, and experience; all the things that are lacking in many of those kids who think we are old.

It's funny you brought up Impossible Mission. I loved that game when I was a kid, too. I have the little joystick controller with a bunch of those old Commodore 64 games. About 4 years ago, we also got a game console that looks just like an Atari console with a bunch of the games stored inside. Good times.

Have fun with your iPod. Oh, and "Another visitor, stay a while... stay FOREVER!"

Jill said...

Ah Marian, I don't have an ipod either (big surprise, I know). I didn't mind the primary kids thinking I was old, but the Young Women think I am old, and that stings a bit. I am also a long time devotee to ER. I hear they added a few more episodes. I get all nostalgic about it too, mostly Dr. Greene and Carter. And old video games rock, that's why they still sell them. Have a great birthday!

Stacy said...

Happy Birthday!!! I don't have an IPOD either but I doubt I would use it unless it had solitare on it. :) I hope your wheat class went good and call me tomorrow if you need to chat on your birthday! Or I'll call you. :)

Kelly said...

Don't worry, i'm part of the no I-pod group. I do have an MP3 though...so maybe I still fit in the "young" crowd! ;) You're hilarious! At least with all your old age your mind hasn't gone yet!

Jenna said...

Happy Birthday!

Nelson Nine said...

Hey girl, if only I were just turning 33! For my birthday, my kids all chipped in money so I could buy me an MP3 player. I am a little scared to even go out and pick one. Maybe we can learn how to use them together!

Amanda said...

I'm only 32 (hee hee hee)

Just kidding. Happy Birthday!

"Her name is Rio, and she dances on the sand..."

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! I hope it turned out to be a wonderful day! :) I won't tell you how old you are ;) but you do inspire me! I hope I can be as cool as you when I get there... :D I hope you have a successful year!