Really things have gone well. The kids haven't quarreled--too much. And I've tried not to lose my patience--too often. I even managed a few visits with my nemesis, the elliptical.
However, Sacrament meeting today did not reflect this in the slightest. Despite my best efforts (and believe me I really did try), we were late. After waiting in the foyer until the sacrament was over, we made our walk of shame to the front row with Adelaide protesting (loudly) the entire way still angry with me for not letting her pick every dandelion she saw on the way in. After wrestling a few more minutes with her nonsense, I had to haul Addie out along with her near full-blown tantrum. After a time-out she agreed to happily walk back to our seat with her arms folded. Halfway down the isle I had the gall to lightly touch her back in encouragement. She flung me such a dirty look the couple sitting nearest us started to laugh. All this took place during a very nice talk about reverence...of course.
Afterward, one of the older ladies came up to me and hugged me tight. And now I'm left dumbfounded. Two weeks with very little incident and Adelaide chooses to unravel it in an instant--in front of the entire ward. We all cannot wait for Randal to come home.
My kids may be failing miserably when it comes to being reverent, but one thing they love to do are projects. Our house has been project central thanks to the dollar section at Micheal's and the creative brain of one soon-to-be-six-year-old. Ethan is constantly coming up with things he and Adelaide can make together. The wood projects in the photos I had nothing to do with. Ethan put them together himself and helped Adelaide with hers. As for the bead coaster thingies--three hours, three hours my kids sat at the table and tediously put those together. That day just may have been the nearest day to heaven.
I zoomed in on Addie's latest artwork. Far be it from me to call my child a prodigy but this, she informs me, is a slug. The resemblance is uncanny. Perhaps the girl may have something.
6 comments:
I think Ethan is sooo destined to be an engineer. The girls loved the card he sent them - it was so sweet! My first thought was, this is definitely an engineer or architect in the making. His map was impeccable! I'm thinking the same thing of his wood projects.
Good luck with Addie in church. I can so relate.
I love the slug!
Way to go Ethan! You rock! Marian, I went out with Abby three times the day that Mark was put in as Bishop. Every time a member of the Stake visits, we are either late or I end up taking a kid out. I can count on it. The one and only time I lost Abby was during ward conference--she was up sitting on her Dad's lap with the Stake President right next to him! haha
Good for you even making it to church and sitting in the front! I would have shown up late, sat in the back, and probably given up after tantrum #1 figuring I'd be blessed for the effort!
I need to get me some of those beads! I bet you are all so excited for Randal to come home tomorrow. You are my hero. I don't know how you did it for over TWO WEEKS! I think Rob would come home and find that I had sold (or given away if there were no buyers) some of the kids.
Sounds like Addie is as independent as her mother was! :-) Some day, she'll grow up and you'll see this wonderful woman she's become and you'll wonder where the days have all gone. Love you very much!
Mom
Post a Comment