Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My $1 Lesson

I stopped at the dollar store today with A.M. in search of a cheap plastic cup to house my toilet brush. Don't get me wrong, I like the dollar store and usually come away having spent twenty or so of those oh-so-cheap dollars. But today I was feeling particularly snotty and did not appreciate the mile-long line I had to stand in to buy my blasted cup.

Of course, all the while A.M. was asking for a treat. I only had a dollar in change for the cup and I told myself beforehand there would be no way I would be using my debit card to buy more stuff; so I told her no treats today. Surprisingly, she did not throw a fit but stood next to the candy the entire time, eyeing it so fondly.

When finally I got up to the check stand I turned to get A.M. away from the treats. (And I do mean "finally"--20 minutes. I know you're thinking no cup was worth that kind of wait. I was thinking that too. But by that time it was a matter of principle.) Behind me in line was a sweet lady who asked if she could give my daughter a dollar to buy a candy cane of M&M's. A.M. was thrilled. Here I was annoyed with all the people around me, and this woman treats both me and my daughter with thoughtfulness. I truly, truly was humbled.

Thank you and Merry Christmas good, kind, dollar store customer.

5 comments:

Keelee said...

It is good to see that there are good people everywhere. I love the Christmas Season.

Amanda said...

So all I have to do is stare fondly at treats and someone will buy me one? Just kidding. That's a cool and delicious story.

Stacy said...

Oh! That is so sweet. It reminds me that I need to be on the look out for people to be nice to! Oh.. I guess I should be nice to everyone.

Dana said...

I was truly touched by your story. Thanks for sharing.

Janell said...

Shared your story with our home teachers. Thanks for reminding me to be on the lookout for moments of kindness.