Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Broccoli's on the Menu Tonight

Randal is out of town. When he is gone we go easy peazy around here for dinner. Oh, who am I kidding I do it all the time. Poor Randal gets pancakes for dinner far more often than he deserves.

Anyway, yesterday I hit a new low.

We were out of milk and bread requiring a trip to Sam's Club. I figured we could stop at a respectable place for dinner on the way--Subway, Wendy's, any place with a cheap kid's meal. Ethan asked what kind of errands we would be doing trying to decide what degree of misery he should expect. I told him just Sam's.

"Could we eat there?" he asked.

And I agreed. I hung my head in shame as my kids ate super-size hot dogs with soggy buns and drank sodas far too large for their little bladders.

So why is it that something I find perfectly acceptable for lunch on a busy Saturday afternoon could make me feel so pathetic when I fed it to my kids for dinner? Was it the obvious absence of the 4 food groups? The price? (It was cheap, very cheap.) Or was it that we were eating "dinner" in a place with an exposed ceiling and cement floors?

Well, I was sufficiently punished--Adelaide wet the bed.

8 comments:

Stacy said...

My kids LOVE it when we run errands at Sams club around lunch or dinner. And they know if they get the Hotdog combo meal.. they don't have to share drinks. (Even though none of them can come close to drinking one.) But I know what you mean... you always leave with that feeling in your stomach. I never know if it's guilt or grease.

Amanda said...

"Exposed ceiling" is my favorite part. I'm not sure why but it made me laugh. Now I will laugh about it every time I go to Costco. That is a good thing.

Jared said...

So you served Zuppa Toscana last week and they had foot-long bulk food store hot dogs the next week. I think you are still ahead at least a dozen points on the food prep scale.

westfam said...

Sam's Club hot dog combos are good and cheap, but you really pay for it later when you burp it up or even worse smell you kids burping it up!
Suzy

Jenna said...

You are so funny! I have never felt guilty for feeding my children unhealthly, greasy food. (ha, ha.) You do what ya gotta do when your husband is out of town. I call it survival mode.

Andrea said...

Suzy is right...the hot dog burps are not worth the cheap price. Nasty!!

Kelly said...

I go for the slice of pizza, at least then I tell myself it's like we had a treat for dinner, non-home-made pizza! Don't feel bad...they probably think you are the coolest for letting them eat at sams!

Janell said...

The huge pretzel is great!