Friday, January 9, 2009

Holiday Highlights and Lowlights

This one's going to be a doozey. There's a prize for anyone who finishes reading to the end. (Rest assured, there will be a quiz.) By the way, I'm sick of using initials so my New Year's resolution is to stop. For once I think I'll be able to stick to my goal.

12 of my favorite vacation moments:
(
By no means an all-inclusive list.)
1. We missed all the family parties so my brothers and sister recreated the "children's" nativity scene with Ethan and Adelaide. Kevin came in toting a gargantuan, Sam's Club olive oil as a gift for baby Jesus. (Notice their staffs are pool cues. Is that sacreligious?)

2. The kids using a toy tape recorder as a camera because they have no idea a tape recorder's true purpose.
3. Adelaide opening presents while sucking on a candy cane like a sugary cigar.

4. Ticket To Ride. Loads of fun even though I lost every game.

5. Visiting my grandma only to find out she reads my blog. Hi, Grandma!

6. Adelaide obsessing over one ornament on the tree--a figurine of the classic Pooh. She unabashedly said to anybody who would listen, "Winne the Pooh is naaaaaaaked!"
7. Grandpa N. playing countless games of hide-and-seek only to have Adelaide give up their spot every time. While hiding, he tried to whisper the rules of the game to her; yet she squealed, "here we are!" every time the counter reached 20.8. A night's stay with Randal's brother and his family at their cabin in Island Park. Three feet of snow had fallen a few days prior. Most of it was untouched and gorgeous. We had a great time.

9. Ethan commandeered a notebook from Grandma where he made a to-do list. He carefully crossed off each task completed: make bed, help Mom and Dad, help Grandma and Grandpa, do the dishes, help Adelaide, do something good. He was in the most gentlemanly mood I'd ever seen as he asked Grandma if he could help her with breakfast. Charmed the socks off her.10. Twilight. Didn't love the movie, but I loved seeing friends again. In case you're wondering why I didn't love the movie look here. "No!...No!...how...I don't know...how..." Stellar performance. Actually we spent time with a number of friends. Bowling. Girls' Night Christmas party. Lunch. Games. And a night spent as squatters at Krista and Dave's house while they were snowed in at the airport. Thanks!

11. Watching cheesy Hallmark channel Christmas movies with my mom and sister. Seriously, their DVR was 98% full of them. We caught a lot of flack. Why wouldn't we with titles like "A Kiss at Midnight" and "A Boyfriend For Christmas". Now that I think about it, Twilight was the most Oscar-worthy show I saw over the holidays.
12. Ethan's gingerbread house. It turned out great. (Well, after my 19-year-old brother taught us how to make graham cracker trusses so the roof wouldn't cave in. Geez, get a job!)

As for the lows:
1. Catching Adelaide's vomit in my hand only to have it run down and pool in the sleeve of my sweater. (My sister's sweater--so really the joke was on her too.)

2. A short while later, catching more vomit in my bra as I tried to run Adelaide to the bathroom. I sacrificed myself to save my parents' new carpet. Two days later, I caught the stomach flu too.

3. Randal ate one more time at Cafe Rio than I did.

4. My one goal was to learn to knit. Snow prevented my sister from coming back home to teach me. Next time.

5. And the lowest point of our trip..."A Boyfriend For Christmas"--most definitely the lowest.

Your prize is now the wonderful opportunity to comment on my mammoth post. Gotcha!

9 comments:

Janell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becca Jo said...

I love Hallmark hall of fame movies. Seriously. I used to rent them from the library in Logan. I do have to say that it is hard, even for me, to watch the Christmas ones because they are all extra cheesy. That chick in Boyfriend for Chirstmas bugs so I didn't even attempt it.

Amanda said...

Don't you just love traveling and puke? Two things that seem to always come in a package for us.

I am regretting not asking you guys if you had dinner plans. But you probably did.

The Wessman Family said...

Sounds like a great vacation. We really like Ticket to Ride as well. Someday we'll make it to NY and we can play a couple games. We have moved now...crazy!

Crystal said...

You crack me up! Loved this post. "A Boyfriend for Christmas" sounds fantastic. Perhaps MST3K will run with it?

I haven't seen Twilight and that 3 minute hospital scene was enough for me!

westfam said...

Suzy and I read the whole freaking post so please give us a prize! We love Island Park also. I was just telling Suzy about an hour ago how I want to go up there in the winter. I'm sure it is awesome. Suzy's family has a place near shotgun village that we go to a couple times a summer. Now, on with the prize!

Jenna said...

So glad to have you back to the blogging world...we missed you...and I am sorry I missed you when you were visiting here. The one Sunday I miss! Glad you are back safe and sound....sounds like you had alot of fun.

Erin said...

I was sad to hear that you had come and I didn't get to see you. Going to church with two 17 month olds is more exercise than I can handle sometimes, Satan won that day!! love reading the blog.

Stacy said...

You are hilarious!! I somehow missed this post earlier. I think I really need to see "A boyfriend for Christmas." Maybe I'll get one next year!! :) Robert will never see this, so I am safe.

I was hoping we would go to Cafe Rio together. I never get to go there either.