Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wallpaper is for Masochists

Yesterday was not one of my finest days. Not by a long shot.

Randal has been gone 12 days. During that time I planned on stripping the wallpaper in the bathroom and kitchen. I thought it would be encouraging for him to come home and see something had been done while he was gone. However, I subscribe to Mark Twain's philosophy, "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." True to form, I saved the wretched task until yesterday, the day before Randal comes home.

And let me tell you, it was a mighty, mighty pain in the neck. Literally. I can hardly move today.

I lost my temper with my kids and blew dinner being spilled on the floor completely out of proportion. I apologized. Even though they forgave me, I know the incident is going to be filed away and used as fuel for them to hate me when they're teenagers.

And to top it off, the toilet started running non-stop. The only trick I have up my sleeve is to jiggle the handle--didn't work. (By the way, this is the second time something funky has happened to the toilet while Randal was on a trip.) I took the lid off the tank to see if something else might come to me. There was a hose floating in the water that seemed to be going nowhere. I lifted it up. The second it came out of the water it forcefully sprayed toilet water right in my face! I dropped the hose and, with the kind of power of a tiny fireman's hose, that slimy little sucker whipped around spraying down me and the entire bathroom.

Thanks to my dad, we figured out the problem and fixed the toilet.

The only redeemable thing about the day was the pan of cinnamon rolls Janna had given me for my birthday. I think I ate 3. On second thought...4. Maybe 5.

Today is a new day and Randal is coming home in a few hours. I cannot wait.

3 comments:

Nelson Nine said...

Oh, the joys of owning your own home. My hats off to you! Keep up the good work. P.S. Your kids won't remember today past a couple of years.

Amanda said...

It's no fair that you had wallpaper issues and dinner spilling all in the same day. No fair at all.

Dana said...

I am still laughing at the thought of water spraying you from the toilet. Gross!! (well, I guess it's the okay water from the tank, but still) What a funny experience. I am so proud of you fixing it on your own!!! Yay for Marian!!