Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Simple Pleasures

Retraction: the 5-way stop is, in fact, 6-way.

I braved it tonight for story/craft night at the library.

The theme was recycling. After a story, the kids made flip-flops from newspaper and book bags out of old, pit-stained tank tops from the Salvation Army. The book bags slightly gave me the willies. But as with most projects around here they will mysteriously disappear after bedtime.

Ethan and Addie said they had a good time as they left with lollipops, or "larrypops" according to Adelaide. And I am reminded it does not always have to be a some big thing to be fun for the kids.

Ethan and Adelaide sporting their recycled projects. Yes, I am aware Ethan is due some pants reaching further than his ankles. And yes, Adelaide did wear her pajamas to the library. They're new and she wants to wear them everywhere. That's my girl!

We have some neighbors, an older couple, who occasionally leave treats and things in the mailbox for Ethan and Addie. How nice is that!? After coming home from the library, Ethan ran to the mailbox to discover today was one of those special days--cookies to be specific. He was thrilled, yelling across the road, "Mom, you're not going to believe it! There's cookies in the mailbox! Now you don't see that everyday!" Sometimes he can really make me laugh.

Even before all the excitement of recycling and cookies Adelaide and I hung our with friends in Ithaca, Ethan started learning to ride his bike without training wheels, the kids collected tiny pine cones in the yard and I managed to sneak in a little nap.

Sometimes I wish I could bottle up days like today.

8 comments:

Michael said...

Where have we (adults) gone wrong? Simple things should still give us pleasure, but we get so wrapped up in out-doing the last event that we lose track of anything that really matters. That's one of the reasons why I like having kids around. No better teachers could ever come out of any university.

Thanks for sharing.

Linda said...

Marian,
We're happy to know that your picture is now right side up. Your blog is so cute. I love the fact that you take the kids to do these simple things that make their day. I wish more parents did that.
Love you! Grandma and I are at your mom's to watch the firing.

Dana said...

Okay - I'm so with you on the recycled tank tops. It reminds me of having to rummage through the lost and found at the girls school...it is soo stinky and nasty, so when I'm on the hunt for a lost item, I am constantly gagging!! (just this morning was one of those instances...and no luck finding Alicia's lost coat...I tell ya, she is always losing things!!)

Heather said...

Your such a cute mom! I really wish we could of hung out some when you lived here! Way to go Ethan on the bike! I can't believe a 6 way stop, I would totall avoid it.

Jenna said...

Hey-are we ever going to see a picture of your perfect jeans?

Amanda said...

"mysteriously disappear after bedtime" LOL!

Nelson Nine said...

When those things mysteriously disappear after bedtime, make sure they are double bagged and at the bottom of the garbage can! Mark took the blame for the last picture Abby found in the garbage. She refused to believe it could have been me because I was the teacher Mom the day she made it! haha

Janell said...

What a great day! The simple things are always the best!