Sunday, April 26, 2009

To the Victor Go the Spoils

Saturday, I did something that had become long overdue. I went somewhere far...by myself.

I've had a rough week. I won't bore you with the reasons, but it was a week that required a little retail therapy. And not the kind where I'm dragging kids whining an complaining all the while.

We have a mall in town. And a Target. Both are small. I was looking for some serious shopping. My goal was to come away with a pair of jeans that actually fit. I've already tried on all the jeans in the mall and Target.

An hour and a half away are some outlet stores. Perfect. Randal and Adelaide happily took Ethan to his ballgame without me. And I set out to overcome my fear.

I haven't been too daring in my NY travels. Upon moving here, my first solo adventure was to the library. I mapped it out beforehand. Mind you, our town is small with little traffic so there isn't much to justify all this this anxiety except one thing...an unforeseen 5-way stop. Yes! And not just any 5-way stop but one where one lane does not stop. Have you ever heard of such a thing? I think from that moment on I've subconsciously avoided traveling any path, near or far, where I haven't first been the passenger, except when forced like to the podiatrist and the accountant.

What I loved from my little trip:
1. Peace and quiet in the car while I listened to The Book Thief on my Ipod...with no interruptions.
2. Gorgeous weather.
3. A very helpful GPS.
4. This tree:
Or at least one exactly like it. I was mad at myself for having not taken my camera. I don't think I have ever seen a magnolia tree before. At least not one in all its springtime beauty.
5. And...drum roll please...I found some pants. Hallelujah!
6. Lastly, driving home I didn't find myself dead on some dark, deserted, country road. I'm not being melodramatic. Every horror movie I've seen has roads like these.

What I didn't love:
1. Swerving to avoid hitting a turtle knowing full well the chances the slow little guy would actually make it to the other side were zilch.
2. The thought that all the folks I was seeing visiting the wineries would be driving on the road with me.
3. The pants I found were in the curvy girl section. "Curvy"--that's what they're calling it these days. Still hurts.


Today, I feel strangely liberated. Weird. I know.

However, I'm still going the long way to the library.

10 comments:

Kellianne said...

Congratulations to you.
When I was young I used to call the womens section the wide section because I truly thought that is what the "w" stood for on all the clothes. Now it is sad that, yes, I am wide! I would much rather be considered curvy.

Kellianne said...

Are you enjoying The Book Theif? I just started reading that one.

Jill said...

We have the five way stops in Oregon where I grew up. I think the hardest thing about driving back east is the foliage blocking off stuff until you are right on top of it. At least that was my issue when we lived in Virginia.

I hate trying to find new pants. I am too among the curvy. I prefer to say voluptuous instead.

Jared said...

NIce job. I get a little nostalgic when I read about your experiences out there. Here are my thoughts:
1. Magnolia trees are fantastic.
2. If the turtle crossing the road is a 15 lb snapping turtle, don't stop to pick it up and carry across the street (I learned this one the hard way).
4. I got pulled over on our way home from church one week at a similar five-way stop when I, having stopped and waited my turn to go, inadvertently cut in front of a police officer who was coming in the non-stopping direction. He let me off with a warning.
Glad to hear things are looking up for you out there. I just bought some "curvy" pants, too, so don't feel too bad.

Dana said...

You probably saved a bundle too shopping at the outlet stores. Next time I'll have to come too (wait a minute, except the plane ticket might not make up for the difference in outlet store clothes prices)

Janell said...

I'm so glad you're venturing out! Now you'll be all ready to take us sight-seeing when we come visit! :-)

Nelson Nine said...

Woo hoo! You are a real New Yorker now. Good for you. You can't go too far for that perfect pair of jeans. I'm still looking.

Stacy said...

I totally need some retail therapy! I think that it could be less expensive than realy therapy. Am I spelling therapy right?

I bet that if I were to get some pants right now... they would be extra curvy.

And I noticed that your friend Jared skipped #3. I really want to know what #3 was.

Amanda said...

"Curvy" in the girl's section is much better than in the women's section.

M. Nelson said...

Amanda--you're so kind, but I wasn't able to wear girls' pants even when I WAS a girl.