Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ziploc Omelets

Who doesn't love an omelet? Not me!

There are actually two things I don't love about omelets. First, my well-intentioned omelets never turn out the way I plan. They always have a great beginning and give every impression of ending up perfect. Then comes the flip where things go terribly wrong and I end up with fancy scrambled eggs. Still good, but not an omelet in every sense of the word. Secondly, made-to-order omelets must be cooked in shifts.

With these two grievances in mind, I received an email forward from R.s sister showing a fun and easy way to make omelets. Perhaps you've received this email. Well, tried it. Liked it. Have repeated it since. Thought I'd share:In a quart-size freezer Ziploc bag, combine 2 eggs (no more than 2 per bag) with favorite omelet ingredients. Shake 'em, squish 'em and mix 'em well. Get all the air out; then seal. Use multiple bags to make custom omelets for each family member just the way they like 'em!

(I could lie and say this picture was taken at breakfast and that's why my kids are in their pajamas. But in reality it was dinnertime. A.M. is still potty training--jammies are easier to pull down. E.R. stayed home sick from school. You know, on second thought, perhaps I should not have had him helping with dinner after all. Whoops.)Place bags in a large pot of rolling, boiling water. Our 4 bags cooked just fine in a medium-size soup pot. Let boil 15 minutes. (As the bags heat up, they get a bit floppy. Don't let them touch the sides of the pan or burner directly.)Open the bags and roll the omelets onto plates. No fuss, no mess--not bad! The kids can help too. Plus, one of us isn't still hungrily waiting for their omelet to cook.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

My MIL cooked omelets this way for a family reunion over the summer. It was fabulous!

Amanda said...

I think I need an omelet now. Thanks.

Stacy said...

We did this camping over the summer. It was fun!!

Tawnie said...

This is a great Idea. I eve baught one of those fancy microwave things and still my omeletes turned out over cooked or under cooked. Thanks for sharing..Yummy!

Tawnie said...

Hey I tried this technic this Saturday. I loved it. I didn't burn the eggs. I look forwad to trying different versions. Thanks again for the tip. Smooches-Tawnie

Becca Jo said...

we did this for dinner tonight and I LOVED it! Thanks for the idea. Also my hubby is so excited for the olive garden soup. that's his favorite too